Figures recently published by the National Pension Commission revealed that Nigeria’s pension fund assets under the Contributory Pension Scheme (CPS) have grown to N12.492 trillion in the month of May, 2021. This represents 0.76% growth from N12.398 trillion recorded in the Month of April.
According to the figures available on the website of PenCom, the following, the breakdown of how the funds are deployed can be found below:
- A total of N8.348 trillion was invested in FGN Securities. This represents 66.83% of the total pension funds. This include FGN bonds, Treasury Bills, Agency Bonds and Sukuk.
- Investment in Local money market got about N1.653 trillion investment. This represents 13.24% of the total pension funds.
- A total of N904.97 billion was invested in Corporate Debt Securities. This represents 7.24% of total pension funds.
- Investment in Domestic Ordinary shares got N821.344 billion. This represents 6.57% of the total pension funds.
- Investment in Foreign Ordinary Shares got N103.679 billion. This represents 0.83% of the total pension funds.